Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Bassa/English/After a long day

Here we are again.
If you as a reader are able to read the german messages, you know some youth-thoughts already. But maybe that's the point.....
I just arrived at the hotel in Ocna Sibiuliu. Together with two other Dutch delegates I was at the meeting of youth delegates and stewards at the Youth Cafe. Honestly, I was a bit tired, but I was there. It is nice to see each other, to get to know and to exchange your experiences.
I went to the meeting with the idea that I could meet other young people with a heart for what I call church. With a concern for what is going on, seriously. And of course, it was there. The people were there.
There were two young women from Norway who had an important message. They wanted to encourage everyone with the example of their home-church. In their church almost 20 % of all boards and delegations are people younger than 30 years. We call them ' youth'. But they said: we're not there just because we are youth but because we have to say something. And I really do think that that is important for us and for all the members of this assembly.
I know that 150 delegates out of 2200 who are younger than 30 is not that much. But I am asking myself: what do I have to tell the 'elder' people? I'd like to be involved in everything here, but just as a member and not as just youth.
I hope this message will be forwarded by everyone who was there tonight.

Further on this day was wet..... really wet...! Full of waiting, waiting for food, waiting for the busses, waiting for people giving the microphone to someone else.... ;)
But anyway, the stewards did a great job. I think that they are THE persons who show us what ecumenism/to be ecumenical really is: - To serve the world together, each one using his/her talents.
Because still, in my opinion, that is what the church has to do. Yesterday I saw all these people. Wearing their robes, their official clothes, their crosses and more - and they look like: I'm here, I'm important, everybody have to listen to me. And I thought: well, I do have the same nametag/badge as all of you so I am on your level now.
Today I found out that much of these people maybe look like that but not all are like that. And I was happy to see that. Anyway, I'm glad that my delegation is quit young ... But I'm also glad that some of the official adresses from especially the Evanglisch Lutheran church from germany and the Metroplite of the Moscow patriarchate were quit ' young' as well. They were really informed about what is going on in Europe, as well as on academic level as on the level of society.
There are two things that I remember here tonight, said by them:

* Please, think about a common statement on accepting all churches baptism
* A scientist has to defend his truth, found by his theory or observation. The church has to defend its truth, because it holds One, and is obliged to share it!

I hope tomorrow will bring more..... !

1 comment:

TT said...

Hi Bassa,
I have a comment to the last two points of your article.
For the baptism question, I think the best would be to find some other people with a similar interest. Together you will discuss the theme and the best strategy how to make this question important for the Assembly. It won't be easy, as the structures aren't really delegates-friendly, but try it!
One additional option will be the requests all delegates can make to the Assembly Message (should be explained tomorrow).
To the question of the One truth: I think, that there is One truth. But we as human-beings can only to draw nearer to the truth, but never reach it. So there will be always different understandings of what is the truth of Jesus Christ - we have to discuss about it. For example me, I don't share the understanding of truth, Kirill used in his appearance.
Good night!