Thursday, September 13, 2007

Travelling...

As most of the delegates and stewards have now returned home safely, I have heard more and more stories about people's journies. When at the Assembly, after a long and hard day, one of the floor management supervisors asked us to think about the question 'where did I meet God today?'. It was a question that I couldn't get out of my head, and many of you will have seen it written on my hand for the rest of the Assembly. Over the last couple of days it's become clear that many of us met God on our travels. I offer you my experience as an example:

The journey had been a major cause of concern for me in the run up to the Assembly. I had chosen a slightly complicated route through an area where I didn't speak the language, and I was so worried about getting lost or stranded.

I flew from London to Budapest and was getting the train from Budapest to Medias via Sibiu. Through church, I have friends in Eztergom (near Budapest), Medias and Sibiu. Not only did they help me to get from plane to train or from train to train, but they welcomed me into their homes overnight. I also met a fellow steward in Budapest meaning that I didn't have to get the train alone.

On the way home I was getting the train to Bucharest and flying back to London via Frankfurt. I was again, worried about travelling alone and about the transfers, especially because I was so tired. There turned out to be a group of 12 getting the same train to Bucharest and 3 of us got the bus together to the airport. The others had earlier flights than me and I thought that I would be waiting by myself. Only to find most of the CEC staff in the departure lounge, with the Geneva office staff on my flight to Frankfurt. I then found that the English Quaker delegation, one of whom I had met just before the Assembly, were on my flight all the way to London.

Where did I meet God on my travels? Through my friends who offered me hospitality, helped me buy tickets and put me on the right trains. Through my travelling companions who made each step of the journey more enjoyable (thanks guys). Through each kind, English-speaking stranger who helped me when I was lost. Through someone noticing I'd slept through my alarm on the last morning and waking me in time for my train. Through the beautiful scenery that passed by the train window. My list goes on and on...

No comments: